Friday, December 21, 2018

Cypresses


























The Mediterranean Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens, also known as Italian cypress, Tuscan cypress, Persian cypress, or pencil pine), has often served as a strong vertical element, and a dark contrast, in European landscape painting, where it evokes an introspective mood through its ancient association with mourning and death. Cypresses are commonly grown in cemeteries. In Islamic culture, its tendency to bow in the wind made it a symbol of surrendering to the Divine. Cypresses can attain great ages - there is a sempervirens in Iran that is estimated to be 4000 years old.





3 comments:

A. Decker said...

Good stuff. I really like knowing that about the 4,000 yr. old one in Iran.

I'm bad about blogging these days, but you maybe post less than I do! Ha!Ha! I come back now and then to check for more.

jeronimus said...

Thanks for dropping by, A.Decker. I've had a lot of life upheavals over the last couple of years, so couldn't post much. But hopefully can post more frequently from now on.

A. Decker said...

"Upheavals." Boy do I ever know what that's like; same here in fact. But you're on my bloglist so I'll be checking in from time to time.