Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dorrit Black - Australian


The Olive Plantation, 1946, 63.5 x 86.5 cm


In the Foothills


Landscape painting of the 30's and 40's was often characterised by robust structure, reflecting the dramatic upheavals of the period. It's worth looking at these works if your landscapes have become too vague. Cezanne was the precursor of this kind of painting. Outlines are strong but also broken. Without this breaking of lines, the image would become captive and lifeless.
See also this work by Ross Dickinson

2 comments:

Hels said...

I love Black's paintings and was pleased to see you found a link to Cezanne as well. I mentioned Cezanne because one of my landscape artists (Reuven Rubin) did.

thanks for the link
Hels
Art and Architecture, mainly
http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com/2011/09/inter-war-landscapes-amazing.html

jeronimus said...

I love them too. She knew how to make a strong image, and how to simplify. I wish there was more of her work online.